Seema Chandra, Food Editor, NDTV, Modified: October 01, 2013 17:49 IST
If you're a vegetarian and you can't bear the sight of green veggies on your plate, there are alternate ways to make your diet wholesome.
The trick is to disguise them or look at other vegetarian alternatives.
These are just a few suggestions. You can play around with them. Experiment. And have some fun.
1) Play around with your grains. Stop being faithful to whole wheat. Alternate between ragi flour, bajra and soya.
Recipes: Ragi wheat bread, Bajre ki Khichdi, Soya.
Ragi wheat bread
2) Puree vegetables, use it to knead your grains and hide them in your rotis/paranthas.
Recipes: Methi Parantha, Gobhi ka Parantha, Matar ka Parantha
Methi ka Parantha by Niru Gupta
3) Keep pesto handy. Cuppa basil leaves, olive oil, pine nuts, garlic in a blender.
Keep this dip handy for a snack on toast or crackers.
4) Eat as many forms of eggs as you can. Bung in herbs, onions sauteed in balsamic, cheese and chives.
Some egg recipes.
5) Eat an appam or a dosa, with a ishtew, where the vegetables are all pureed in the coconut milk. Only potatoes are left.
Recipes: Black Channa and Coconut Stew, Appams, Dosa
Black Channa and Coconut Stew by Vicky Ratnani
6) Up the taste quotient. Eat with pineapple pachadi.
7) Make pancakes with whole wheat, oats and soya milk. Have them with a fruit compote. Or honey.
More pancake recipes.
8) Get corny. Corn in butter, corn on the cob, corn with melted cheese.
Recipes: Sweet Corn Fritters, Sweet Corn Crepes, Spicy Corn Salsa, Handi Corn Sabzi
Spicy Corn Salsa by Aditya Bal and Devanshi
9) Make friends with marmite. On a toast. In a drink. Over pasta.
10) Dahi Kebabs: Hung yoghurt, almonds, sauteed onions, raisins, black pepper. Rolled in crushed oats. A guilt free recipe.
11) Soya Kebabs: Vegetarian version of a shammi kebab. Ground soya granules, channa dal, ground khada garam masala.
Soya Kebabs by Niru Gupta
12) Salads. Tomato and mozarella cheese, torn basil leaves, sploshed with olive oil.
More salad recipes.
Caprese Salad by Joey Matthew
13) Couscous and chickpeas. With home made fresh vegetable stock.
14) Tofu braised in soya sauce, garlic and green onions.
More tofu recipes.
15) Instant mezze. Hummus, feta cheese, yoghurt dip. Whole grain crackers or pita bread.
16) Lentils, lentils and more lentils. Instead of water, use vegetable stock.
Nigel Slater's 20 best Observer recipes: veg dishes
Nigel Slater's 20 best Observer recipes: desserts and cakes
10 Best Vegetarian Recipes
Top 10 Veg Recipes for Kids
World Vegetarian Day: Classic Meat Dishes get a Vegetarian Makeover
10 Best Udupi Recipes
Now, eggless Snickers for veggies
'Vegetarian butcher' transforms plants into 'meat'
Angela Hartnett's aubergine gratin
For the latest food news and recipes, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and get the NDTV Cooks app for Android or iOS.