Asia's 50 Best Restaurants list is created from The World's 50 Best Restaurants Academy, an influential group of over 900 international leaders in the restaurant industry, each selected for their expert opinion of the international restaurant scene. The Academy comprises 26 separate regions around the world.
There is no pre-determined check-list of criteria; for example an interesting experience in a simple establishment, where exceptional innovation was discovered, could be judged better than a more opulent meal from a widely feted restaurant team. The results are a simple computation of votes. "Given that this well-constructed list is based on personal experiences it can never be definitive, but we believe it is an honourable survey of current tastes and a credible indicator of the best places to eat around the globe."1. Narisawa - Tokyo, JapanRefined techniques blended with a reverence for nature.
Narisawa has also won The S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Asia and The S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Japan.2. Nihonryori Ryugin - Tokyo, JapanPrecision cooking, melding tradition with boundary-pushing ideas
Nihonryori Ryugin has also won the Chefs' Choice.
3. Nahm - Bangkok, ThailandThe world's finest authentic Thai cooking from David Thompson
Nahm has also won The S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Thailand.
4. Amber - Hong Kong, ChinaDelicate food in a stunning space with a touch of Dutch
Amber has also been awarded The S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in China.
5. Restaurant Andre - SingaporeThe home of 'octaphilosophy' is Singapore's premier restaurant
Restaurant Andre has also won The S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Singapore.
6. 8½ Otto e Mezzo Bombana - Hong Kong, ChinaA taste of Italian showmanship and superbly executed cuisine
7. Mr & Mrs Bund - Shanghai, ChinaPlayful haute French bistro with chef Pairet's signature twists. 8. Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet - Shanghai, ChinaUltra-avant-garde, multi-sensory dining in a mystery location. 9. Iggy's - SingaporeBeautifully balanced food and service at Hilton hideaway. 10. Gaggan - Bangkok, ThailandIndian street food given contemporary treatment by brilliant chef. 11. Waku Ghin - SingaporeFine Japanese dining at Marina Bay Sands. 12. Caprice - Hong Kong, ChinaClassic French dining in the heart of Hong Kong. 13. Lung King Heen - Hong Kong, ChinaThree-star dim sum specialist with harbour views to die for. 14. Les Amis - SingaporeA perennially popular and elegant neighbourhood gem. 15. Bo Innovation - Hong Kong, ChinaExtreme - and extremely good - Chinese food. 16. Quintessence - Tokyo, JapanFaultless French techniques executed in Japanese capital. 17. Dum Pukht - New Delhi, IndiaClay pot cooking taken to new heights.
Dum Pukht has also won The S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in India.
18. The Chairman - Hong Kong, ChinaSeasonal, locally sourced and organic Cantonese cuisine. 19. Eat Me - Bangkok, ThailandAtmospheric, laid-back restaurant with flair on the menu. 20. Wasabi by Morimoto - Mumbai, IndiaIndia's premier Japanese restaurant comes roaring back. 21. Hajime - Osaka, JapanArtistic interpretations of rich plant life. 22. Jaan - SingaporeA restaurant and chef that live up to their location.
Jaan has also won 'One to Watch'
23. L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon - Hong Kong, ChinaBringing sexy back to French cuisine.24. L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon - SingaporeProductive counter cooking, Asian-style. 25. 28 HuBin Road - Hangzhou, ChinaA showcase for the Chinese province's unique regional cuisine. 26. Bukhara - New Delhi, IndiaTraditional feasting dishes at legendary New Delhi destination. 27. Sushi Mizutani - Tokyo, JapanIdiosyncratic destination serving world-beating nigiri. 28. Indigo - Mumbai, IndiaMediterranean-Indian fusion in a glamorous setting. 29. Sra Bua By Kiin Kiin - Bangkok, ThailandMolecular Thai cuisine by way of Denmark. 30. Varq - New Delhi, IndiaBrilliantly executed street food in a fine-dining setting. 31. Takazawa - Tokyo, Japan
Über-creative husband and wife team in Roppongi
32. Shinji by Kanesaka - SingaporeOmakase restaurant from Japanese masters. 33. Kahala - Osaka, JapanEstablished but experimental East-meets-West destination. 34. Franck - Shanghai, ChinaParisian-style panache in Shanghai's French quarter. 35. Osteria Mozza - SingaporeUpscale Italian-American in downtown Singapore. 36. Bo.lan - Bangkok, ThailandBold and brilliant Thai cooking in chic surroundings. 37. Robuchon au Dôme - Macau, ChinaFrench finesse among the clouds. 38. Nihonbashi, Colombo - Sri LankaMinimalist and accurate Japanese cooking in Sri Lankan capital.
Nihonbashi has also won The S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Sri Lanka.
39. Sushi Saito - Tokyo, JapanHidden gem of a seven-seat sushi destination. 40. Fu1015 - Shanghai, ChinaTraditional cooking with a twist in historic surroundings. 41. Indian Accent - New Delhi, IndiaCreative and ambitious modern Indian food. 42. Ishikawa - Tokyo, JapanMasterful melding of luxury with humble ingredients. 43. Gunther's - SingaporeFrench fine dining in a stylishly inviting setting. 44. Karavalli - Bangalore, IndiaStrictly regional cooking from India's south-west. 45. Jade on 36 - Shanghai, ChinaHigh-rise, high-end gastronomy and exceptional views. 46. Yardbird - Hong Kong, ChinaBeak-to-tail eating, Japanese Style. 47. Don's - Hanoi, VietnamGlobe-trotting eclectic cooking that feeds wanderlust.
Don's has also won The S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Vietnam.
48. Fook Lam Moon - Hong Kong, ChinaTraditional family-run Cantonese favourite still going strong. 49. Imperial Treasure Super Peking Duck - SingaporeSuperlative Chinese specialist in the Lion City. 50. Mozaic - Bali, IndonesiaUnique multinational collaboration on tropical isle.
Mozaic has also won The S.Pellegrino Best Restaurant in Indonesia.
The other award categories -
Lifetime Achievement Award Asia
Asia's Best Female Chef
Duongporn 'Bo' Songvisava
Asia's Best Pastry Chef
Seiji Yamamoto of Nihonryori Ryugin, Japan
One To Watch
© All photos of restaurants and dishes belong to the corresponding restaurants.
© All other photos and information - Asia's 50 Best Restaurants sponsored by S.Pellegrino & Acqua Panna, Singapore, February 2013
Other Links:Asia's 50 Best Restaurants - 2014Being stand alone isn't lonely anymoreThe World's 50 Best Restaurants - 2014Indian Eatery Receives National Restaurant Award in BritainThe Taste of KeralaRestaurant Review: Savor seafood at Ente KeralamFor the latest food news and recipes, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and get the NDTV Cooks app for Android or iOS.